[mythtv-users] Recording profiles

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:29:56 UTC 2015

Hoi Michael,

> On 09/16/2015 12:54 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>> For this question I only care about the
>> HD-PVR.
>> Does MythTV use any of the program guide
>> data when it decides what profile with which to record?
>> If Myth
>> uses SD vs. HD to setup the Hauppage HD-PVR before recording then my
>> HD recordings may suffer in quality.

> If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that MythTV does
> not use any listings data to determine how to record shows.

> As far as the HD-PVR goes, AFAIU, the HD-PVR provides MythTV a
> compressed video stream that contains whatever your cable STB is
> outputting.  If you set the STB to always output 720p, the HD-PVR
> records in 720p.  If you set it to output whatever format the content is
> broadcast using, the HD-PVR records in the appropriate format (480i,
> 480p, 720p, 1080i, ...).  TTBOMK, you--as the creator of the recording
> rule--specify which recording profile to use (as part of the rule itself).

> In other words, only your cable company/cable box determine the format
> of the video.  You may well have high-definition recordings without the
> HDTV (listing) label or standard-definition recordings that have the
> HDTV label.  The listings HDTV flag is (especially now, as more and more
> content is delivered in HDTV resolutions) relatively meaningless.  Some
> stations/networks choose not to indicate it on any of their shows
> (because they're "all" broadcast in HDTV).  Some specify it only for
> some category of shows (such as movies).  Some specify it for everything
> since the channel is broadcasting "only" HDTV resolution (even though
> some of the shows they broadcast are upscaled by the station/network
> from SDTV--often using worse scaling/deinterlacing/... than you could do
> yourself with your MythTV box if they gave you the original format,
> instead).  As a matter of fact, some even specify it on every single
> show because the broadcast is always in HDTV, even though the broadcast
> may be rebroadcast by a cable/satellite company in SDTV resolution (but
> the listings still indicate HDTV).  Because of the fact the flag is
> meaningless (or, at least, means a lot less than most people think),
> it's not used by MythTV for any critical decision making.

> The only thing it can be used for is scheduling, and it is only used for
> scheduling if the user explicitly tells MythTV to use it.  You can
> specify an "HDTV only" filter on recording rules that will only consider
> shows that are marked with the HDTV flag for recording (and miss all the
> good HDTV episodes of that show on channels whose stations don't mark
> their shows HDTV) or you can specify an HDTV priority that's added to
> episodes marked as HDTV so that you can favor recording shows in HDTV.
> (IMHO, both are bad ideas--especially on MythTV, a system designed to
> let you record anything you might possibly want to watch.  The only
> [...]

Can't MythTV mark afterwards whether a done recording is in HDTV (or
whatever format), so you can use it in those rescheduling rules?
I'm at present rerecording shows digitally that were originally done
analog. I have to distinguish by date of implementation of my HD
homerun.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven