[mythtv-users] Motorola DCX3200-M

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 2 01:13:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Scot Kreienkamp <skreien at wcnet.org> wrote:
> From
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.
> ...a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which ruled that the
> making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of
> time shifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use.

That's not relevant to the discussion.  We all know that time shifting
is legal.  That doesn't mean you can do whatever you want on the path
to doing that.

> Broadcast copy flag struck down:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/technology/antipiracy-rule-for-broadcasts-is-struck-down.html?_r=0

That was specifically for over-the-air broadcasts, no?  That ruling
doesn't apply to cable.

The law states:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html#1201

§ 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems2

(a) Violations Regarding Circumvention of Technological Measures. —
(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that
effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

There then follows select exceptions to that rule.  Specifically not
on that list is an exception for undertaking an otherwise legal
activity (e.g. time shifting).

It's a bad law, but it is what it is.

Eric