[mythtv-users] remote display from frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 28 14:46:46 UTC 2015

On 10/28/2015 10:08 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> 99.9% uses it only fullscreen and only adjust to correct for overscan.
>> So they WANT it remembered!
> The database has a default size.  It's the size the window will be in
> the absence of any command line overrides.

It's a "default size"?

Does that mean that my choice to have the Watch Recordings screen always
start in All Programs (i.e. to not "Save current group filter when
changed") is the "default" choice (even though MythTV's default is to
actually save the current group filter)?  Does that mean that my choice
to use weighted time/priority combination for auto-expire method is the
"default" (again, even though MythTV's default is to expire oldest show
first)?  Since those (or any other settings) can be overridden exactly
like window size, I don't see any reason that window size is different
from any other setting.

|No, the default size of the MythTV GUI window is 0x0 (meaning full
screen) and is specified in the code.  The database stores the
user-specified size setting so it can be used upon restart.

>    I have mine set to full
> screen, and when I launch it it starts full screen unless I override
> that.  I don't have a problem with remembering a default size in the
> database, but if for some reason I want a non-default size at some
> given moment, I really don't see the problem with using the override
> or why MTD is jumping down my throat telling me that I'm doing it
> wrong and that the right way to do it is to change the default size
> and restart mythfrontend without any options.  If I run with a
> non-default size, I don't want MythTV to remember that for the next
> time.  I want it to run with the regular default size.  (Full screen
> in my case, smaller in yours, whatever.)

Now, wait a minute...  This is saying /exactly/ what I'm saying--that
overrides are used as the exception, not for normal use.  You're now
saying that your settings are set to your preferred value--the one used
most often--and that you're only overriding occasionally when you need
something different for a short time.

That said, I still think (based on how often you seem to want the
"something different for a short time") you'd be better served by
changing the setting values so that you don't preclude the use of the
Appearance Settings (and the ability to change screen size without a
restart).

Mike