[mythtv-users] Lircd won't start correctly

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 04:03:57 UTC 2015

On 26/10/15 01:48, Don Brett wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 5:40 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>>
>> hm... Which Ubuntu version are you on?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --alec
>>

> It's mythbuntu v-14.04, MythTv v-.27 with latest updates.

Had to re-check my assumptions. The simple fact is that those packages
requires at least 14.10, and that this fact isn't reflected in the
packages. Will make new ones.
> They supply a lirc script (start, stop, etc) at: /etc/init.d/lirc.
> The section that is failing is looking for something at
> /sys/class/rc/*/.  That directory exists, but there are no files on
> it.  Here's the snippet that's failing:
As for that specific snippet you can just rip it out. However, be
prepared for a *very* bumpy road if you try to make 0.9.3 run on a
system without systemd. Stiicking with 0.9.0 or upgrading to 14.10 are
alternatives worth considering. And if you want to give 0.9.3 a try,
start with invoking lircd from the command line. The init scripts are
probably creating much more problems than they actually solve in this
context.

You should actually be able to follow the flow in the configuration
guide [1] quite close besides the pieces how to start the services. If
you get it running from the command line it shouldn't be that hard to
create some new init scripts.

Cheers!

--alec

[1] http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html