[mythtv-users] Lircd won't start correctly

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Oct 26 00:48:55 UTC 2015

On 10/25/2015 5:40 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 25/10/15 22:10, Don Brett wrote:
>

>> PS - Not sure  how to start lircd, other than with the start script.  My
>> installation doesn't  have systemctl or journalctl.
>>
> Well, then...I frankly don't know... The first attempt would be to start
> it from the command line directly. While it is possible to create
> scripts, it will certainly take some time...
>
> hm... Which Ubuntu version are you on?
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec
>
> PS: I'm still very new to debain packaging, so thanks for the feedback!.
> Seems like I missed some key management. Thought it was OK once Ubuntu
> bought it but alas... Still cutting this part since it's a different story.

It's mythbuntu v-14.04, MythTv v-.27 with latest updates.  They supply a
lirc script (start, stop, etc) at: /etc/init.d/lirc.  The section that
is failing is looking for something at /sys/class/rc/*/.  That directory
exists, but there are no files on it.  Here's the snippet that's failing:

in_kernel_support() {
         if [ -d /sys/class/rc ]; then
                 for file in `find /sys/class/rc/*/ -name protocols`; do
                         if [ "$1" = "disable" ]; then
                                 echo "lirc" > $file
                         else
                                 echo "none" > $file