[mythtv-users] Can't open DVB frontend with 4.2 kernel

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 19:53:11 UTC 2015

Hello,

I just upgrade the backend server to 4.2 kernel because I add a new
DVB-S2 device (Tevii S482).

Now the problem is that I can not add any DVB-S2 device, it says:

2015-10-25 20:07:42.937872 E  Can't open DVB frontend
(/dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0) for /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0.

This is the adapter permissions:

# ls -lh /dev/dvb/adapter6/
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 0 Oct 25 20:02 demux0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 1 Oct 25 20:02 dvr0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 3 Oct 25 20:02 frontend0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 2 Oct 25 20:02 net0

It only happens with DVB-S2 devices, I have other DVB-T devices and
they works great.

My devices are Tevii S470 and Tevii S482.

This is mythbackend version (deb-multimedia Jessie):

# mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : ad97d24
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20141016-1
QT Version : 4.8.6
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss
using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_profiletype using_mythlogserver using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode
using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
using_libass using_libxml2

Anyone have similar devices and kernel?

I will appreciate your help.

Best regards.