[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 17:00:58 UTC 2015

On 23/10/15 16:06, Stephen Villano wrote:
> On 10/23/15, Swanseasurfing <swanseasurfing at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Some may say that by not distributing the livecd, you will turn new users
>>> off to myth.  I would agree, but would also say that configuring myth is
>>> not for the amateur user.
>>>

>> To my mind new users won't start using MythTV if there are cheap (and
>> maybe easy to install) alternatives. For Example the WeTek OpenElec Box
>> (<100$) provides a dual tuner, runs Kodi and supports vdr or tvheadend as
>> backend on the same machine. According to the German magazine c't it's not
>> difficult to attach a hard disk.
>>
>> And there seem to be more users using kodi as frontend.
>>
>> So I think that without an easy to use Linux distribution there won't be
>> that much new MythTV users. But users that are already happy running
>> MythTV won't change the platform. It's a lot of configuration and scripting
>> to get all customized for the own needs. And these  users know why they run
>> MythTV: it has a lot of great features!
>>
>> So thank you for providing MythTV and the ISOs!!!!! I would be sad if there
>> won't be new ISOs any more....
>>
> As a LiveCD distro is read-only, no myth database can store new entries.
> Hence, a hell of a lot of your argument fails.
> Those who use Kodi and OpenElec boxes tend to be more casual users, as
> I've tried both and settled upon Myth for its capabilities being more
> inline with my preferred uses, it's a semi-power user vs casual end
> user condition.
> As I am indeed a power user, but still interact with all levels of the
> spectrum, I'll stick with MythTV over the lesser contenders, as this
> works better for my specific needs and even my computer illiterate
> wife manages to use it more easily.
>
> Besides, an ISO only exists these days in order to write it to flash
> and load an OS.

The point of any ISO, whether it is CD, DVD, SDHC card or USB, live or otherwise, is that you can
use it to boot and install onto completely brand-new hardware.

The ISO doesn't have to be full of software, it needs to have just enough to put up a basic system
and then get what it wants from the internet (or a local software repo if you have one).

I don't use %Ubuntu but plain Debian, and that is how I have built all my hosts - with a network
boot USB drive. Configuring everything else does take some time so maybe what is required is a
minimum boot image with user scripts that can then download all the other mythtv packages.

--

Mike Perkins