[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Oct 23 15:12:08 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Swanseasurfing
<swanseasurfing at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Some may say that by not distributing the livecd, you will turn new users
>> off to myth.  I would agree, but would also say that configuring myth is not
>> for the amateur user.
>
> To my mind new users won't start using MythTV if there are cheap (and maybe
> easy to install) alternatives. For Example the WeTek OpenElec Box (<100$)
> provides a dual tuner, runs Kodi and supports vdr or tvheadend as backend on
> the same machine.

If I wanted something like that, I'd probably just rent the DVR option
provided by my cable tv provider.  They all offer some sort of STB
with a built-in DVR and it come with support and the compatibility
nightmares with protected content is generally handled within the
limits of what the box can provide.

MythTV users generally want a solution which isn't a simple black-box
appliance, but can be configured to do things that other boxes don't
and custom tailored in any number of different ways.

> So I think that without an easy to use Linux distribution there won't be
> that much new MythTV users.

Any Linux user already experienced with system administration on Linux
(even at a novice level) generally shouldn't have a problem with
installing MythTV packages on top of a base Linux distribution like
Ubuntu.  Probably most people who can't handle that would be better
served by something that isn't MythTV.

Eric