[mythtv-users] mysqlcheck buffers output?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:16:39 UTC 2015

I apologize because this a bit off topic...more related to mysql
itself as apposed to my MythTV system, but I figured there might be
someone here that's run into this or knows something about it:

I've noticed for years now that the mysqlcheck program inexplicably
buffers it's output in a way where you can *never* truly know what
table it's on without going into mysql separately and doing a show
processlist.

For example, I've seen cases were one of the first tables in alpha
order was a massive table that takes a long time to check, where it
will output *nothing* at all, until it's several tables past that
table.  It appears to be buffering the output, possibly in 1K blocks
or the like.  If you were sending the output to a file for example,
and the server happened to go down, you might not even have *any* way
to know how far it got.

This is an *insane* manner for something that important to behave, and
searching the web I see no mention of this.  I can't possibly be the
only one whose ever noticed this.

Does anyone know if there's any way to prevent that buffering?  I sure
can't find one.

Thanks in advance!
Tom