[mythtv-users] 0.21 to 0.27: Channel Icons missing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 19 12:43:00 UTC 2015

On 10/17/2015 02:09 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Now, If I remember correctly, I copied my ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels from my old 0.21 box to the new box, somewhere in setting it up. Myth could find it for icon downloading, because it added a bunch of icons to the pile that were there.
>
> Perhaps some part of Myth's initialization got confused by the folder being there already? Maybe me pointing a Storage Group at it refreshed something?

It's almost certainly a permissions problem--where the backend and/or
frontend process was not allowed to access the files (or the directory,
or one of the parent directories--like the mythtv user's home directory,
which should only be accessible by the mythtv user).  This could be
caused by many things, including use of the --user argument to
mythbackend depending on what user actually starts the process, or what
user is starting processes, or even the script that's starting processes.

Alternatively, it could be caused by using multiple $HOME/.mythtv
directories, for example, due to different users running the system or
because say, your distro created one directory for MythTV configuration
somewhere on the file system (outside the home directory structure) and
made a symlink at ~mythtv/.mythtv pointing to that directory, but then
you copied stuff over from your old system and broke their symlink so
that only some processes were using your new directory and others used
the "old"/distro-configured directory or any number of other such breakages.

Meaning, in summary, the channel icons weren't broken, but your system's
configuration was (and may still be, if you have multiple different
config directories in use--where "broken" may not involve any problems
or visible issues at this point).

Mike