[mythtv-users] Tivo has Commercial Skip in US

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 14 14:48:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:49:03AM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 10/12/2015 9:33 AM, John Marshall wrote:
> >>Honestly, the auto commerical marking in Myth works very poorly on all
> >>but a few programs on US cable.
> >
> >Which channels?  It works nearly perfectly for me on almost
> >everything I record, though I think some of the kids' shows on
> >Disney aren't as accurate.  Baseball, sitcoms, Walking Dead, etc,
> >are all handled very well.
> >

> It's hit or miss for me. "Dark" shows will be misconstrued as
> commercial breaks. The intentional continuous "slides" into
> commercial breaks will of course be missed. Nothing you can do about
> that. When a show is unsuitable for automatic commercial detection,
> I turn it off and manually forward through them. I'm happy.

   My biggest complaint back in the day was not that Tivo commercial
skipping was not automatic but rather the 30 second skip feature was
not enabled by default. It needed to be enabled with a secret key
combination that required some dexterity.

   A power outtage would undo the hack and we had a lot of power outtages.

[deletia]