[mythtv-users] Comcast doing massive channel reorg

Michael T Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 9 01:48:40 UTC 2015

On 10/8/2015 4:32 PM, Aaron Klein wrote:
> I am looking for best practice on what to do when my cable provider
> changes a massive amount of channels.
>
> I got a mailing a while ago telling me that my local cable provider,
> Comcast, will be moving all of their HD content to another channel
> range.  Right now all HD content is on channel 2XX and it is also
> mirrored at 8XX.  In a few weeks they will drop all of the 2XX
> channels and only have programming on 8XX channels.
>
> I figure that I can at some point refresh my channel lineup with
> schedules direct but I fear that their lineup will be behind the
> actual change.  I used to have in my recording options to say record
> all shows on this specific channel option but that seems to have gone
> away at some point as I have many recordings set to record to a
> specific channel and of course I selected the 2XX channel.
'
The only reason to wait for Schedules Direct to change things is
laziness.  OK, actually ignorance is another reason to wait--but after
reading this post, the only reason to wait will be laziness.

If you're not lazy, you can fix everything without a single change from
Schedules Direct.  Since this is a reorganization, you already have all
the channels that you need.  You just need to make sure that a) your
listings data from Schedules Direct gets to the channels you have, b)
your MythTV system knows how to change to the channels you want, and c)
your MythTV system no longer has channels that don't exist (the ones
being dumped--assuming you have duplicated the ones that were available
from 2 different channel numbers in your database, which really wasn't
necessary and really would have had no practical benefits and only
increased resources used by MythTV, so I'm guessing you didn't duplicate
them).

So, as far as a) goes, you simply need to use MythTV's channel editor
(in mythtv-setup or MythWeb) to edit the XMLTV ID for each channel in
your database to match the channel ID shown on the Schedules Direct
lineup (on SD's website).  For b) simply use MythTV's channel editor to
edit the Frequency ID of your channels to correspond to the new ID used
to tune the channel in its new position.  The Frequency ID will be
different things depending on your setup.  For example, if using an STB
(with a PVR-xx0 or HD-PVR, for example) or an OCUR/CableCARD tuner to
tune the channel, it's simply the cable system channel number (e.g. the
8XX channel number it will be on instead of the 2XX channel number) you
give to the STB to tune the channel.  If you're tuning with ClearQAM
(which is highly unlikely in today's "encrypted for your viewing
pleasure" world), it's more difficult, but basically rescan first, then
take care of a) after (feel free to ask for more detail if you really
are using ClearQAM).  As far as c) goes, simply use the Channel Editor
to remove the 2XX channels that are duplicates.

Note, though, that chances are a) is not a problem--if the channels were
actually identical, they should have the same SD channel ID, so whether
it was given the channel number 203 or 803, the XMLTV ID was the same.
I'm guessing you only had one copy of the channel in your database
(rather than having both 203 and 803 channels as identical channels, you
had only 203), in which case c) is not a problem. Therefore, all you
really need to do is b) (and, again, if using ClearQAM, that means a
rescan followed by a).

If you want, you can change the channel numbers for the channels to
match what the cable company is using with the Channel Editor, but there
is no reason to--the channel numbers are there for you to use as you
please and have no bearing, whatsoever, on what is used by your cable
company (Frequency ID is used to specify how to tune with the
cable-company numbers and channel number exists only for display
purposes to let you know from where a recording was made and to allow
you to jump directly to a channel in Live TV).  So you can keep the 2XX
channel numbers if you want, or change them to 8XX channel numbers or
even change them to XX channel numbers or 12345XX channel numbers or
whatever you want--as long as their unique on your system, they're good
channel numbers.  As a matter of fact, I've never understood why people
use stupid cable/satellite company channel numbers, like 10703 for some
local channel 3, when they could just use 3 by simply telling MythTV
that's what they want to use for the channel.

In other words, channel reorganizations are one of the few things that
cable companies can do that aren't a problem for MythTV users--at least
not for the ones who aren't too lazy to fix their setups. :)

Now if they get new channels that aren't available in your SD lineup,
/then/ you have to wait for SD to update your lineup.

Mike