[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers For LIRC

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:10:03 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 15:36, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Be aware that, while the daemon is packaged with eg. Debian, the version
> of LIRC may not include the driver. I had to download the iguanaIR
> source and rebuild LIRC (to pick up the libraries) in order for the two
> to communicate.
>
> Whether the iguanaIR driver for LIRC is included obviously depends on
> your distro version. It wasn't in mine (wheezy).

This is basically true for all debian-based distributions. For some
reason the Debian version i still 0.9.0 [1]

That said, with the usual limitations (no blasting...) you should be
able to use the kernel iguana module + the LIRC devinput driver.  This
does not require the userspace daemon or LIRC recompilation, it only
requires a recent kernel.

For those distros with a modern lirc built without the iguana support,
it's just a question of compiling the driver (i. e., a plugin). This is
a minor issue compared to rebuilding LIRC. Of course, these creatures
can also use the devinput option.

Cheers!

--alec

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=777199