[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Oct 7 15:52:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I also bought a firetv after the pi died for use with kodi.  Just like
>> the pi, it works, but there's some quirks with it.  For example, it doesn't
>> decode mpeg2 very well, the menus are quick, but my old lirc remote doesn't
>> work so I'm forced to use only a few buttons with the firetv remote.
>>
>> I'm just trying to see what the consensus is on this box, now since a
>> month or two has passed.  It looks like it works, but there are some quirks
>> with it....which is kind of steering me away from it and finding something
>> cheap with vdpau support.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Post if you find something with *full* VDPAU support. I can select VDPAU
> in Myth on my ECS Liva with Intel video but it's pretty miserable. Everyone
> seems to say that the old licensing agreement that allowed Atom boards with
> integrated Nvidia graphics expired and is unlikely to be renewed.
>
> Is there any micro format (that is a form factor similar to the ECS
> Liva/Raspberry Pi 2) that has the beautiful Nvidia graphics fully supported
> by Myth?
>
> I don't think Intel video supports VDPAU so when you had it selected it
was probably falling back to software/OpenGL. Try VAAPI instead. Not quite
as good as VDPAU, especially in deinterlacing, but many people find it
acceptable. I understand the open source AMD/ATI driver supports VDPAU (not
sure about its capabilities) but I haven't heard about any AMD-based micro
computers similar to the Liva, etc. They may exist; I haven't actively
searched for them.

Karl