[mythtv-users] Pilots and Premieres power search anyone?

Erik Karlin e_karlin at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 14:41:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 07:19:49AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/01/2015 06:06 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> >Hoi Kenneth,
> >
> >Friday, October 2, 2015, 12:04:36 AM, you wrote:

> >>Thanks, Mike, and to all the others that answered.  I used Mike's
> >>suggestion and that works quite well from the front-end (not so well
> >>in the web I/F).  Although, I had to really search to find the
> >>'Inactive' switch.  Looking at the Upcoming Recordings, the ones that
> >>are inactive are marked with an 'X'.  Choosing one and hitting enter,
> >>I choose override rule which appears to create a new rule for that
> >>series.  Now, I just need to remember to check for this about once a
> >>week or ten days!
> >I think the created override rule is just for that one episode. And be
> >aware it's time set. So if the start-time is adjusted at the last
> >moment, which regularly happens here with some channels, it wont
> >record!
>
> It's actually easiest to use MythWeb to create the new rules for the
> showings that match the First Episodes inactive search (though it's
> easiest to create the First Episodes custom recording rule in the
> frontend).  In MythWeb's Upcoming Recordings, the First Episodes
> will be listed without a border around the Status box (first column)
> and no status description in there (i.e. not "Earlier" or similar).
> Then, just click (or middle-click to get a new tab) the title and
> change to "Record at any time on any channel" and uncheck the
> "Inactive" checkbox and set any other desired rule settings.
>
> MythWeb allows you to create a new rule for an episode that matches
> an existing rule.  In the frontend, doing so is much harder.
>
> Mike

What I do from the frontend when I see a show I want to record is to
highlight the episode, hit 'O'ther to bring up the other episodes,
choose the second episode and create a record-all rule on that one which
then records the pilot episode too. Of course, this depends on future
schedule data but it's worked for me like this for a long time.