[mythtv-users] remote doubles keypresses

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Nov 14 02:11:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:44:52 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>My remote sometimes double keypresses.  I always have just lived with this,
>but think I understand why it does it.  I think it is acting as both a
>remote and keyboard.  I have lirc running to use the remote, and it works
>fine.
>
>This is why I think this is the issue (the handlers show kbd and eventX
>(here X being 7))
>
>I: Bus=0018 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
>N: Name="i2c IR (Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350"
>P: Phys=i2c-0/0-0018/ir0
>S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input10
>U: Uniq=
>H: Handlers=kbd event7
>B: PROP=0
>B: EV=100013
>B: KEY=10afc312 214201700000000 0 118000 41a800004801 9e16c000000000
>10000ffc
>B: MSC=10
>

>How do I disable kbd?  Is this even an issue or am I on the wrong track?
>
>Thanks

It sounds like at some point you upgraded to a new kernel with kernel
drivers for your IR device, but did not properly convert over to using
the kernel drivers (devinput).  So you are getting keystrokes
generated by the kernel drivers as well as what lirc is doing.  Try
opening a terminal in X and doing a few commands (eg "ls", "ls -al",
"ls -alt").  Then use the remote up arrow button - if the previous
command is displayed (the terminal sees an up-arrow keystroke), then
that is likely what the problem is.  The kernel drivers default to
providing the arrows and the number keys from IR devices, and those
keystrokes are provided via a keyboard device.  Lirc will run in
parallel with that keyboard device and also provide the same
keystrokes, plus all the others it is configured with.  So for the
keystrokes that work directly via the keyboard path and also work via
lirc, you get the keystroke happening twice.  It is possible also to
have the lirc action for an IR keystroke to be different from the
keyboard one, in which case you get both (different) actions happening
at the same time.

I had exactly this problem on upgrading to Mythbuntu 12.04, IIRC.  I
had to convert over to using the devinput driver, which was a huge
pain to work out and get right, but has worked well since.

What version of Linux are you using?  When did this problem start?
What is the output of "ir-keytable"?  What is the output of "ps -ef |
grep lirc"?  What is in your lirc config files (eg
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf)?

If you are using Mythbuntu, I have my working devinput IR configs
available for download from my web server that you can use as an
example to work from:

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2

There is a README with some information on how to configure it.