[mythtv-users] HD PVR possible to use non-Hauppauge blaster?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 02:48:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:02 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> The second hand device doesn't include the IR blaster, despite being a 1212
> model.  Can I just use one of the other blasters that I have which came with
> a MCE remote or my old AverMedia capture cards?

Any channel change device should work (of course, you will have to
configure it to work with your STB, and then with MythTV).  The IR
blaster in the HDPVR is treated as just another lirc device (a zilog if
I recall correctly) and is not magic.  Some people use firewire to
control their STB (and some use HTTP or Upnp drivers) with their
HDPVR (as, for various reasons, they choose to not use the ir blaster).

As I recall, if all you are missing is the blaster itself (common if the
device is "new-to-you" and the previous owner discarded the extra
cables), you can pick up replacement for a nominal price directly
from Hauppauge, or from lots of other sources.