[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup issue: KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Mar 25 21:44:04 UTC 2015

On 25/03/15 20:28, James Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> Have you tried looking uder /dev/dvb/* ? That's where most DVB type
>> tuners go, and I understand that's what ATSC is.
>
> Thanks for your input, Mike. Yes, there is a /dev/dvb directory, and
> under it adapter0 and further, under adapter0, demux0, dvr0, frontend0,
> and net0. I can, of course, enter a path under card set-up in
> mythtv-setup, but I'm uncertain exactly what the path, in this case,
> might be: just /dev/dvb/adapter0? Any further input on that, anyone?
>
> Over at Newegg, under their reviews for this product, I found someone
> using it with MythTV who claims it has to be hooked to a USB 3 port. But
> someone else claims to have gotten his tuner to work without problems on
> a USB 2 port (see
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/550127/support-for-kworld-ub435-q-v3-tv-stick)

That was a said to be a ubuntu setup with a 3.16 kernel.  I believe
you're using gentoo...

You asked if the device could do SD as well as HD.  I'm in the UK, where
SD comes via DVB-T and HD comes via DVB-T2, but I don't think there's a
similar split with ATSC;  if not, it should work with whatever
transmissions are available in your area.  For a given signal, the
choice is made by the provider, not by you.

In mythtvsetup the path is usually displayed automatically when you
select the appropriate type of transmission; if you're not seeing that,
something may still be missing.  The presence of the directories that
you list may directly equivalent to seeing 'registering adapter' in
dmesg, but I'm not sure.  That's what I expect to see before it will work.

John P