[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome & Hibernate problem

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:37:13 UTC 2015

Hoi Michael,

> On 10/03/2015 5:58 AM, Simon Waldman wrote:
>> On 8 March 2015 at 21:53, Simon Waldman <lists at firecloud.org.uk
>> <mailto:lists at firecloud.org.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     If I type "sudo hibernate" at a terminal, it works. If I use the
>>     menu within Mythwelcome and select "Shutdown now", it works. But
>>     if I let the idle timer count to zero, it gets as far as stopping
>>     the backend service and then nothing further happens - visibly, or
>>     in the Hibernate log.
>>

>> So, I've been trying to think about what could be different between
>> selecting "shutdown now" in Mythwelcome, and letting the idle timer
>> count down. There's one possibly that occurs; perhaps those who know
>> could confirm or deny it?
>>
>> Is it possible that, despite being configured through MythWelcome, the
>> shutdown command when the machine is idle actually comes from mythbackend?
>> In that case, the hibernate script would presumably be a child process
>> of mythbackend, so when it stops mythbackend, it would itself be killed.
>> That makes some sense, if it's true. Is it?
>>
>> Thanks :-)
>>
>> --
>> Simon Waldman
>> swaldman at firecloud.org.uk <mailto:swaldman at firecloud.org.uk>
>>
> Easy to test your theory.  Have your backend hibernate script spawn a
> background task that does the hibernation.

It took me some time to get it all back to mind, for it's over a year
ago. I was then testing to use a systemevent to hibernate my frontend
through my remote. And it sometimes didn't work. After a lot of
testing I found that it wouldn't work when MythWelcome was active.
Somewhere it blocked the path from lirc to a keyevent to the
systemevent to my hibernate script. I don't know if this helps. I
anyhow stopped using MythWelcome after that and created my own
bashscript loop instead to handle those things. If I now quit
mythfrontend I get a bash menu with several options like rebooting,
restarting the frontend, restarting X etc. I even now don't use those
systemevents any more.
I can also say that as far as I know these systemevents are managed by
the masterbackend.
I must say that this was with 0.26.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com