[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome & Hibernate problem

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 17:29:40 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Watson" <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>
To: swaldman at firecloud.org.uk, "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 4:38:34 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythwelcome & Hibernate problem

On 10/03/2015 5:58 AM, Simon Waldman wrote:

On 8 March 2015 at 21:53, Simon Waldman < lists at firecloud.org.uk > wrote:

If I type "sudo hibernate" at a terminal, it works. If I use the menu within Mythwelcome and select "Shutdown now", it works. But if I let the idle timer count to zero, it gets as far as stopping the backend service and then nothing further happens - visibly, or in the Hibernate log.

So, I've been trying to think about what could be different between selecting "shutdown now" in Mythwelcome, and letting the idle timer count down. There's one possibly that occurs; perhaps those who know could confirm or deny it?

Is it possible that, despite being configured through MythWelcome, the shutdown command when the machine is idle actually comes from mythbackend?
In that case, the hibernate script would presumably be a child process of mythbackend, so when it stops mythbackend, it would itself be killed.
That makes some sense, if it's true. Is it?

Thanks :-)

--
Simon Waldman
swaldman at firecloud.org.uk

Easy to test your theory.  Have your backend hibernate script spawn a background task that does the hibernation.

I had the same problem with suspend, as soon as the backend stopped, the suspend process was also killed. The following resolved this.
I changed the server halt command to this
setsid /opt/mythtv/bin/systemshutdown.sh
that is a script that in turn includes "sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend"
The setsid command runs it under a different session and prevents the suspend from being killed when the back end is killed

Peter