[mythtv-users] fluxbox-1.3.6 bug

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:39:20 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a heads up to hopefully save someone the pain I just went
>> through:  I just upgraded my mythtv systems (using Gentoo).  I
>> autostart the frontend using the method described here:
>>
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/mythtv/autostart.html
>
> How did you end up on fluxbox?  That procedure gives you evilwm.
>
> Unless you're married to fluxbox, I'd suggest just switching window
> managers.  You can really use just about anything if this is just a
> full-screen decoration-less mythtv front-end.

In my case it's sort of yes and no.  It's a full screen
decoration-less frontend, but I do things like having hot keys
configured to open terminal windows and to do various stuff...things
only I use.  I also have Alt-Tab configured to switch be windows so I
can open terminals and jump back and forth to MythTV etc.

It's actually always worked great with fluxbox (which is what I use on
other Gentoo boxes I have).  MythTV aside, that was simply a seriously
bad bug for fluxbox to get out there with.  Thre are several built in
styles that end up crashing X apparently.

Tom