[mythtv-users] fluxbox-1.3.6 bug

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 18:06:54 UTC 2015

Just a heads up to hopefully save someone the pain I just went
through:  I just upgraded my mythtv systems (using Gentoo).  I
autostart the frontend using the method described here:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/mythtv/autostart.html

After the upgrade I just ended up with a blank screen and almost no
way of determining what was happening.  I finally discovered that the
fluxbox process itself was dead (a defunct zombie process).  The
update had updated from fluxbox-1.3.5 to fluxbox-1.3.6-r1.

It turned out it was due to this:

http://sourceforge.net/p/fluxbox/bugs/1116/

In my case I was using the builtin fluxbox Artwiz style.  Apparently
using that, as soon as any program attempted to open a window, the X
server was exiting.  Switching to another style got everything working
correctly.

I'm frankly a little stunned that that bug, though labelled as
"critical", is targeted for 1.3.7.

Tom