[mythtv-users] Playback looks at screensize not at monitor or windowsize

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 00:10:56 UTC 2015

Hoi Mike,

Friday, June 12, 2015, 7:09:40 PM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi Mike,

>> I don't have it set explicitly so I guess it's off. But it was a
>> replacement screen and xinerama has to be off in screenlayout.
>> I actually have dual monitor for maybe two year. At first the classic
>> way and I seem to remember that I removed xinerama from useflags when
>> I moved to the nvidia way. Your problem could be KDE related. I used
>> gnome2 and now mate. But I will give it a try.
>> On a quick check I see xdpyinfo, x11vnc, xosd, qtgui, gtk+, libsdl,
>> mplayer, marco (mate-wm), xine and wine using the flag, but of course
>> I can not see what it changes. I'm surprised I do not see vbox in the
>> list.
>>

> The fact GTK+ and QT both use / need it, is so that they have proper
> understanding of where within the XRandR framebuffer window viewports
> are.  On the particular system mentioned before, I actually have tried
> all 4 common video setups:

> Nvidia+nvidia.ko
> Nvidia+nouveau
> ATI+fglrx
> ATI+radeon

> All 4 required USE=xinerama for 'everything' to work properly.  Until
> Xinerama was enabled, at least kwin but I think also Compiz Fusion at
> one point in the far past, would simply say to an application "hey my
> screen is 5120 pixels wide" so i would get a 'full screen' application
> covering all 3 screens, regardless of whether it was Video or even IRC
> being told to 'maximize to screen".

> Enabling USE=xinerama puts all the right bits into GTK/QT to figure
> out where the viewports are.

> Hope this helps,

> Mike

Thanks, the awareness of the system seems beter. I had to go back and
forth some extra time because I lost windows that were now outside my
view. The only real difference is that max screen now goes to one
monitor and in vbox I now have to set-up the multiple monitors.
But then I can have my Windows menubar on my monitor of choise, even
in between the two. I'll have to see if X now really accepts that my
secondary monitor is to the left. In the past they would swap on sleep
while the monitors were off and I had to put them back with xrandr.
For now the division by zero error on moving between the monitors
seems to have gone and MythTV now can be set up with 16:9 aspect. I
though still think it should look at the GUI size for that value. I
can move it to the other monitor or give it an unrelated size/aspect
ratio, so! I think on having multiple monitors most people will set
the GUI size and it's more intuitive.

That use-flag seems to do the trick

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com