[mythtv-users] Playback looks at screensize not at monitor or windowsize

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:20:38 UTC 2015

Hoi Hika,

Friday, June 12, 2015, 5:58:47 PM, you wrote:

> Hoi dennis,

> Friday, June 12, 2015, 3:39:43 PM, you wrote:

>> On 06/12/2015 05:24 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> I was further thinking about the difference between monitor and screen
>>> in X. Normally in Xinerama you have one screen (and one driver
>>> instance) for every monitor. So looking at the X screen for monitor
>>> properties like aspect ratio seems OK. But even in the old X
>>> definition it isn't OK. Even with one monitor/one screen the screen
>>> can be any size, unrelated to the monitor size. It's a virtual size,
>>> over which you can pan the monitor as a view screen. So the two are
>>> unrelated. Nvidia's step to put the monitors in one screen is a
>>> completely logical next step. Only not jet supported by most monitor
>>> aware software. But then even Xinerama is only properly supported by
>>> a few of Window managers.

To further explain, it is like Xinerama but incompatible. But unlike
Xinerama it is compatible and works with arandr/xrandr. I can resize
on the fly through them. And as said the two monitors are truly
integrated. Even my windowmanager (mate, the gnome2 clone) is not
really aware. It sees two monitors, but cannot distinguish them.
In the serverlayout I have Xinerama Off. It's setup in the device and
screen part.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card-Nouveau-0"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName       "GeForce GT 610"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen           0
        Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "CRT-0, DFP-1"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice"      "CRT-0, DFP-1"
        Option          "Monitor-DVI-I-0"       "Mon-201P"
        Option          "Monitor-HDMI-0"        "Mon-iiyama-XU2390"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen-VGA201"
        Monitor         "Mon-201P"
        Device          "Card-Nouveau-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection      "Display"
                Depth    24
        EndSubSection
        Option          "Stereo"        "0"
        Option          "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0,DFP-1"
        Option          "metamodes"               "DVI-I-0: 1600x1200x85.0 +1920+0, HDMI-0: 1920x1080 +0+24"
        Option          "SLI"           "Off"
        Option          "MultiGPU"      "Off"
        Option          "BaseMosaic"    "Off"
        Option          "DPI"           "100x100"
EndSection