[mythtv-users] Playback looks at screensize not at monitor or windowsize

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:09:40 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Mike,

> I don't have it set explicitly so I guess it's off. But it was a
> replacement screen and xinerama has to be off in screenlayout.
> I actually have dual monitor for maybe two year. At first the classic
> way and I seem to remember that I removed xinerama from useflags when
> I moved to the nvidia way. Your problem could be KDE related. I used
> gnome2 and now mate. But I will give it a try.
> On a quick check I see xdpyinfo, x11vnc, xosd, qtgui, gtk+, libsdl,
> mplayer, marco (mate-wm), xine and wine using the flag, but of course
> I can not see what it changes. I'm surprised I do not see vbox in the
> list.

The fact GTK+ and QT both use / need it, is so that they have proper
understanding of where within the XRandR framebuffer window viewports
are.  On the particular system mentioned before, I actually have tried
all 4 common video setups:

Nvidia+nvidia.ko
Nvidia+nouveau
ATI+fglrx
ATI+radeon

All 4 required USE=xinerama for 'everything' to work properly.  Until
Xinerama was enabled, at least kwin but I think also Compiz Fusion at
one point in the far past, would simply say to an application "hey my
screen is 5120 pixels wide" so i would get a 'full screen' application
covering all 3 screens, regardless of whether it was Video or even IRC
being told to 'maximize to screen".

Enabling USE=xinerama puts all the right bits into GTK/QT to figure
out where the viewports are.

Hope this helps,

Mike