[mythtv-users] Channel Icons

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:07:55 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 11:19 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Okay, I finally got around to looking at this on my setup and am having the same issue. I ran the icon retriever on my backend, which runs as
> root, and it pulled the icons into /root/.mythtv/channels.
>
> My frontends run as the user mythtv with the home dir in /var/lib/mythtv. I manually copied all the icons into /var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv/channels
> but the icons are still not present on the frontends.
>
> Where does mythfrontend expect the icons to be? Do I need to create the symlink above?

Hi,

The frontend doesn't exactly expect to find any icons. Rather, the backend does the heavy lifting.
It now uses the Services API to do it. If the BE is running as mythtv, as you mentioned yours is,
then the built-in ChannelIcons Storage Group will automatically look in ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels

That's it. No symlinks required. Mythweb uses the same API to get the icons and store them in it's
cache. Some choose to retrieve the icons as their own user (I've not heard of anyone doing it as
root.) Others choose to place the icons in a directory unrelated to a specific user, and for them
manually adding a ChannelIcons Storage Group with their own choice of Storage Directory works.

Test with this from your browser (it's what the BE, mythweb and WebFrontend (0.28-pre) use):

     yourBackend:6544/Guide/GetChannelIcon?ChanId=oneOfYourChannelIds

Since you just got a fresh copy of the icons, they should be (correctly) stored in the DB as
filenames only. No full paths as with earlier versions of MythTV. If that's not true, then the
above test from your browser will fail.

--
Bill