[mythtv-users] Anyone Using LIRC on CentOS 6.6?

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Jun 4 23:32:04 UTC 2015

On 6/4/2015 1:18 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:

> If you just accept that the kernel decoding doesn't work this also
> means that the lirc devinput driver won't work (since it uses the
> decoded kernel output).
>
> You then could trry to use the lirc decoding instead. This requires
> that you can enable the lirc protocol by doing something like "sudo
> echo 'lirc' >/sys/class/rc/rcX/protocols. This should work, the
> possible caveats are permission problem or wrong device (use the
> rc/rcX device reported by ir-kaytable).

Well I am confused on this kernel decoding issue. I thought the choice
was LIRC using /dev/lirc0 or devinput using /dev/input/eventXX. I
thought only one or the other uses kernel decoding. Now you tell me
*both* uses kernel decoding.

> Once this this works you should be able to check the raw timing data
> on /dev/lirc0 using mode2. This is described in a link I won't repeat :)

Finally! Some output

space 900
pulse 750
space 2550
pulse 800
space 6146
pulse 550

The receiver is active and getting input from my remote. But I knew this
from the error messages.

> If you have this data, you could run lircd using "--device /dev/lirc0
> --driver default". With a proper lircd.conf file should be fine. You
> could also use irrecord(!) to try to roll your own.

This is (I think) what I started with. Not specifying the device means
LIRC uses /dev/lirc0. Not specifying the driver means it uses whatever
is loaded, mceusb in my case.

> This also means that as long as you don't plan to fix the kernel
> decoding there's no point with a udev rule for fixed device names.

$echo 'lirc' >/sys/class/rc/rc5/protocols
$cat /sys/class/rc/rc5/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony [lirc]

Reset /etc/sysconfig/lirc to:
LIRC_DRIVER=""
LIRC_DEVICE=""

$service lirc restart

And more of the same with irw:

Jun  4 16:28:05 marble lircd-0.9.0[12108]: failed on bit 1
Jun  4 16:28:05 marble lircd-0.9.0[12108]: failed on bit 5
Jun  4 16:28:05 marble lircd-0.9.0[12108]: failed on bit 13
Jun  4 16:28:05 marble lircd-0.9.0[12108]: failed on bit 13

So when you say "fix kernel decoding" is this what you meant?