[mythtv-users] CCI Copy Freely Letter Campaign

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 14:40:50 UTC 2015

Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> This 'quite good' service you speak of - I am sick and tired of having new and possibly interesting series or serials aired on one of the free-to-air channels, only to find out that, after the first season, the rights have been bought out by Sky.
>
> In a system similar to that used by drug peddlars they let someone else find out if the program would make them money then lock it up behind their expensive portal. No thanks, Mr Murdoch!

So I'm not alone in that then.
But I don't think that's fixable.

No point complaining to Sky - it's a deliberate policy.
No point complaining to the FTA channel it was on - they clearly decided they couldn't outbid Sky for it and still make a profit.
And no point complaining to the program makers - they've got a better deal by selling it to the highest bidder.

There is always the option I favour ...
Give it time* and it'll be out of DVD, give it a bit more time and the DVD will end up in the sales section.

* Given that I've a 5TB backlog, you can tell that watching stuff live as it's first broadcast isn't my top priority - I can't understand those people who absolutely must see the first showing. Some of the stuff I watch is repeats (or DVDs) of stuff from 20, 30, or 40 years ago - SWMBO is just getting into Butterflies which I bought her as a box set, she never saw it first time around (in the pre-VCR days) due to being at work.
It also shows that there is (IMO) quite a bit of decent TV on freeview - but a lot of it isn't on at "the right time" which makes a good PVR very handy.

All that said, I'm not against paying for stuff - just against paying for a crippled platform that's been deliberately designed from the ground up to maximise benefits for the supplier rather than me.