[mythtv-users] What is best filesystem for recordings?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sat Jul 11 14:00:03 UTC 2015

On 30/06/15 09:47, Warpme wrote:
> Hi *
>
> I just got some free space on my server (8T Seagate Archive for
> videos) which temporarily gives me spare capacity allowing change
> filesystem for recordings volumes.
>
> Currently I have 2x4T HDD allocated purely for recordings. Both
> volumes are now on ext3.
>
> After years of relaying on ext3 I think it is not best filesystem for
> recordings as:
> -delete is very throughput expensive
> -chkdsk is really long
> -starting loosless cut makes hell of:
> TFW(/myth/tv/21101_20150630054000.ts:67): write(57152) cnt 35 total
> 2079656 -- took a long time, 2571 ms
>
> So what FS will be better: XFS or JFS or ...?

Replaying myself for benefits of others ;-)
Finally I ended with.....XFS
Reasons:
-While EXT4 gives me speed-up on large file deletes (15G file needs 10+
sec on Ext3 and 3-4sec on Ext4) - on XFS delete is instant.
-Reformat 4T part from Ext4 to XFS gives me 180G of additionall space. Nice!
-XFS is much more actively developed than JFS.
-there are plans to add SMR support for XFS.
-due bug in Seagate Archive I had 4 SATA stalls leading to errors in XFS
journal. All cases FS recover without any issues/losses. This is good
prove of XFS maturity and resiliency.