[mythtv-users] What is best filesystem for recordings?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Jul 1 12:52:02 UTC 2015

On 01/07/15 08:43, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 07:04, Mike Holden <mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What about the current batch of "surveilance" HDDs? They sound like a similar use-case to MythTV program recording.
>>
>> Anyone tried them, or have any opinions on them? Or is it just a marketing gimmick to add a few dollars on to the price of a regular drive?
>>
>> E.g. http://www.mwave.com.au/product/seagate-st4000vx000-4tb-surveillance-hdd-35-sata3-surveillance-hard-drive-ab58829
>
> I have one of these, this is Seagate’s version of the WD AV-GP, I think the newer WD’s are rebranded as WD Purple.
>
> These are exactly the kind of drive I was advocating a few mails back, Surveillance, Cinema, AV, whatever it’s called.
>
> Supposedly one of the optimisations (in the WD at least) is that during a bad read a desktop drive will go back and retry multiple times to try to get a good read, in the process holding up any further reads. The AV drive will carry on and deliver the read with a few errors, the idea is that as the data is video the odd bad bit here and there is masked by the video codec and holding up the read for a one or two bit error is more detrimental than the errors would be.
>
> I think it’s important to not use these drives for OS or other regular data!

Yeah, the variations are in how the firmware handles stuff like errors.
Desktop drives tend to retry and try to find your data, while an
enterprise / NAS rated drive is designed to run as part of a RAID set
and should return immediately to let the upper layers know to retry
from another part of the raid set.

Regards
Stuart