[mythtv-users] Which nvidia cards to currently avoid?

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:50:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM, John Marshall <mythtv at marshallparty.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Just make sure that's the 630 with 64-bit memory and 384 CUDA cores
>>> (Kepler).  I don't think the Fermi ones with 96 cores perform as well on
>>> deinterlacing (though as I alluded to, 300 drivers are better than 29x for
>>> Fermi cards).  Why NVidia tries to confuse people by overloading card
>>> numbers is beyond me.
>>> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-
>>> gt-630/specifications
>>>

>>>  Silly question. Is there anything I need to do to before replacing the
>>>>

>>> I swapped my GT430 for the GT630 when I bought it and it just worked.
>>>

>> Thanks for the advice. Soon as the mother-in-law heads home I'll be able
>> to check the box in the living room and see if it's still alive. If it is,
>> I'll blame it on the gremlins. :-)
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

I paid around $30 for this card several years ago:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130606

Fanless.  Quiet.  Still works great.  Some on this list have suggested the
210 is not fully capable (not sure which thread or what the rationale was)
but unless you are doing something beyond what is defined for Nvidia
feature set C, it works fine.