[mythtv-users] Which nvidia cards to currently avoid?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jan 29 22:07:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> I paid around $30 for this card several years ago:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130606
>
> Fanless.  Quiet.  Still works great.  Some on this list have suggested the
> 210 is not fully capable (not sure which thread or what the rationale was)
> but unless you are doing something beyond what is defined for Nvidia feature
> set C, it works fine.

That "unless ..." clause is really the kicker.  If you do any light
gaming on the system, or think you might want to upgrade your display
to 4K at some point, you might want a more capable card.

My general rule of thumb these days is to go with the fastest, most
powerful, passively cooled video card you can find.  These days that
would be something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500368

Can you save a few bucks and go cheaper?  Of course, but you're less
likely to want to upgrade again in the near future if you aim a little
higher, so you can end up saving in the long run.

Eric