[mythtv-users] DVB re-scan and XMLTV EPG?

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:07:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Philipp Hahn <pmhahn+mythtv at pmhahn.de> wrote:
>
>> I recently relocated and finally had to reset the DVB scan and channel
>> setup. I dreaded that moment, because in the past I always lost the
>> information about xmltv IDs and channel icons - This time I lost them
>> again, so I'd like to ask what I'm doing wrong or where I didn't grasp
>> a concept yet:
>
> Well MythTV doesn't know what these are when it does a channel scan - that's something you have to supply later. I just wrote a SQL script that rearranges my channels and fills in the missing data - so I can just "delete all channels -> scan -> run script" and have my channels back as they were. I just have to update the script from time to time as the channels available change.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script
>
> Put another way, Myth doesn't link channels, icons, or guide sources - that's the job of the user and/or external programs. From following this list, it would appear that some of the guide sources will automatically update the channels if properly configured.

What do people think of having a script that will read in the
tv_grab_xxx file, (typically /home/user/.mythtv/tv_grab.xmltv, I
think), scan the database and produce a human friendly configuration
file that links channel number, callsign and xmltvid and updates the
database using one of the supported APIs?  I'd make this a two step
process allowing the configuration file to be manually reviewed.

This would deal with most of the concerns listed above, i.e. fear of
re-scanning, dealing with SQL and unsupported interfaces, etc.

I'm thinking out loud here, so would welcome feedback.

Thanks,
Alistair