[mythtv-users] DVB re-scan and XMLTV EPG?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 09:40:49 UTC 2015

Philipp Hahn <pmhahn+mythtv at pmhahn.de> wrote:

> I recently relocated and finally had to reset the DVB scan and channel
> setup. I dreaded that moment, because in the past I always lost the
> information about xmltv IDs and channel icons - This time I lost them
> again, so I'd like to ask what I'm doing wrong or where I didn't grasp
> a concept yet:

Well MythTV doesn't know what these are when it does a channel scan - that's something you have to supply later. I just wrote a SQL script that rearranges my channels and fills in the missing data - so I can just "delete all channels -> scan -> run script" and have my channels back as they were. I just have to update the script from time to time as the channels available change.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script

Put another way, Myth doesn't link channels, icons, or guide sources - that's the job of the user and/or external programs. From following this list, it would appear that some of the guide sources will automatically update the channels if properly configured.