[mythtv-users] Patches to enable out-of-the-box MCE remote support

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 16:38:57 UTC 2015

On 01/21/2015 01:28 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In setting up a new frontend recently I bought an MCE remote to
> operate it. I discovered that it *almost* worked. Some key things such
> as the arrow keys and select (OK) work great, and alone I think that's
> enough to get to Setup and get the rest of the keys mapped (except for
> some inconsistent Shift key handling). However, since the MCE remotes
> are so common and cheap, I thought it would be nice if MythTV would
> work completely with the remote out-of-the-box (as much as practical).
> I have attached two patches which change the default key mapping for
> TV playback and MythMusic. I'm submitting them for review because I
> had to move some existing key mappings out of the way. For example
> Night Mode (Ctrl+F) conflicted with Seek Fast Forward, and Jump to
> beginning (Ctrl+B) conflicted with Seek Rewind. Also my remote is an
> Ortek VRC-1100 which is actually an HID device so I would like to get
> some feedback from true MCE remote owners to make sure the keys are
> the same before I submit it as a ticket.
>
> Despite these key mappings I still had to remap a couple buttons using
> ir-keytable. I swapped the Clear (Esc) and Back (Backspace) buttons,
> and I changed the "i" button from mouse right click to the letter M.
> The mouse right click worked to bring up the menu in all of the Myth
> screens, but it would not do it during TV playback. It would be nice
> if it could be changed to bring up the menu during playback, but I
> took a quick peek at the code and it's not completely clear to me how
> that all fits together.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Karl

I have an Ortek MCE remote  and it shows up as a keyboard and mouse in
Linux. I do not believe I was able to get ir-keytable to work with it. I
used gsettings to unmap some of the keys and the mythtv front end to map
those that did not work. I had to unmap the media keys and then map them
to keycodes using xmodmap. It would be nice if MythTV handled the media
keys directly. Without these remappings, pressing Play or Stop just
brings up a no parking sign.

Peter