[mythtv-users] Long jump from 0.21 to 0.27.4 , mostly OK except audio !!

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:55:26 UTC 2015

Hoi Sholla,

Saturday, January 10, 2015, 6:58:05 AM, you wrote:

> On 01/08/15 16:33, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Sholla,
>>
>> Thursday, January 8, 2015, 10:49:34 AM, you wrote:

>>> well,
>>> the mainboard is  mini-itx  Intel D510MO Atom  (circa 2010)
>>> kernel 3.13.10 i686
>>> distribution is built from source using Yocto framework
>>> I specifically intended to exclude systemd and pulseaudio. After
>>> seeing your response I checked..
>>> root at d510mo:/# find . -name "*pulse*"
>>> ./home/mythtv/.config/pulse
>>> ./usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
>>> ./usr/lib/libpulse.so.0.17.3
>>> ./usr/lib/pulseaudio
>>> ./usr/lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-5.0.so
>>> Obviously something is pulling in pulseaudio as a dependency, most
>>> likely QT4. I need to verify this.
>>> Many people in the forum had pointed out that mythtv disables
>>> pulseaudio when it is running.  So I am puzzled (anyway, I do not need
>>> pulseaudio and will remove it)
>>> Thanks for pointing out this one..
>> Myth can work around pulse, but I think it needs pulseaudio to have
>> some alsa emulation. I don't know much about it, but on my workstation
>> where I need pulseaudio for skype I see much more alsa devices.
>>
>> aplay -L gives:
>>
>> sysdefault:CARD=SB
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     Default Audio Device
>> front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     Front speakers
>> surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>> surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>> surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
>>     HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Analog
>>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>>     HDMI Audio Output
>> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
>>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
>>     HDMI Audio Output

> Re-built mythtv with the changes   --enable-audio-oss  and  --disable-audio-pulseoutput.

> Now the device options  ALSA:default:CARD=Intel  and  ALSA:sysdefault:CARD=Intel appear
> in the audio settings panel.  With 'ALSA:sysdefault:CARD=Intel'  now I get
> sound in LiveTV and playback of the recordings. However there is a new wrinkle.

> It appears that mythtv is routing the PVR-350 audio output to alsa LineIn by default.
> That is I do not have to run a cable from the pvr card to system LineIn port.
> As I mentioned in my first post, the following option does not seem to be there..

> Hardware Decoding Settings:
> [...]

The pvr350 like a lot of relative newer cards have dma-audio through
the pci bus. If the ivtv-alsa module is loaded you get an alsa device.
But with the pvr350 you don't need it. With video it goes strait into
your mpeg files and with radio the audio goes through /dev/video24.
/dev/radio0 is only for changing channel etc.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop