[mythtv-users] Long jump from 0.21 to 0.27.4 , mostly OK except audio !!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 8 11:14:02 UTC 2015

On 08/01/15 09:49, Sholla wrote:
> On 01/08/15 06:35, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Sholla,
>>
>> Wednesday, January 7, 2015, 2:03:00 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing a long jump from 0.21 to 0.27.4 on a fairly new system
>>> with pvr-350 and the set top box.
>> ..
>> What is 'a fairly new system'?
>
> well,
>
> the mainboard is  mini-itx  Intel D510MO Atom  (circa 2010)
> kernel 3.13.10 i686
> distribution is built from source using Yocto framework
>
>>   Does it perchance involve pulseaudio?
>
> I specifically intended to exclude systemd and pulseaudio. After
> seeing your response I checked..
>
> root at d510mo:/# find . -name "*pulse*"
> ./home/mythtv/.config/pulse
> ./usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
> ./usr/lib/libpulse.so.0.17.3
> ./usr/lib/pulseaudio
> ./usr/lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-5.0.so
>
> Obviously something is pulling in pulseaudio as a dependency, most
> likely QT4. I need to verify this.
>
> Many people in the forum had pointed out that mythtv disables
> pulseaudio when it is running.  So I am puzzled (anyway, I do not need
> pulseaudio and will remove it)

Actually, with more modern hardware and OS versions pulseaudio isn't so evil.

One test machine I built would not work unless I installed pulse, and then
everything magically worked without any configuration from me.

Obviously, it depends on the specific hardware / software combination you have.

--

Mike Perkins