[mythtv-users] Auto-adjust fill does not work when playing DVDs

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 14:42:24 UTC 2015

On 04/01/15 09:23, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've set my main frontend to automatically adjust its playback zoom
> level (which is called "adjust fill" "auto detect" in the user
> interface). This works well when playing back recordings, but it does
> not work at all when playing back DVDs.
>
> As a result I have to manually turn off zooming whenever I'm playing a DVD.
>
> Is there a solution or a work-around for this issue (short of ripping
> all DVDs to the video library, which I am indeed doing)?

Hi Jan,

I've just had a play with this and it *seems* to work for me.
Admittedly I've only managed to find a single letter-boxed DVD and I
none of my recordings are so my test material is rather limited.

Playing back the letter-boxed DVD resulted in the zoom level being set
to 'Full', which seems to be correct.  The only issue I had was when I
returned to the DVD menu, which was not letter-boxed and not recognised.
  At a guess, I'd say that's probably caused by it being a still menu.

I don't see any obvious paths in the DVD code that would prevent the
letter-box detection being used.

What problem exactly are you seeing?  That DVDs are incorrectly being
recognised as letter-boxed, or not recognised as such?

Under 'General Playback settings', is 'Zoom:' set to 'Auto Detect
(Default Off)' or 'Auto Detect (Default Half)'?

Frontend logs with '-v playback' might be useful.

Richard.