[mythtv-users] Issues with my HDHomerun: Resource temporarily unavailable

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:37:33 UTC 2015

On 1/4/15 2:24 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
> <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
>     <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Ian Evans
>         <dheianevans at gmail.com <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>         > The power LED is solid for hours at a time until a recording starts. So is
>         > it safe to assume that the increased load that occurs during
>         a recording
>         > causes something in the wall-wart to, say, overheat and
>         cause the HDHR's
>         > "reboot"?
>
>         The typical failure mode of these POS bricks is the cap
>         fails after a few years (heat related, usually), and you
>         get extremely high ripple voltages.  Random stuff then
>         happens (well, not random, predicable based on the
>         internal components and design)  Observed/Reported
>         symptoms include (random) resets, and signal lock/quality
>         issues.  If one opens the black POS adapter, you can
>         usually observe the bulging cap, and even replace it,
>         if one desires, but obtaining a high quality replacement
>         even for the cap can sometimes be hard.  Easier to
>         just replace the adapter.
>
>         Personally I automatically replace all my provided POS
>         supplies with high quality switching supplies from OEMs
>         such as Delta within days of purchase just because I
>         like reliable power, but I have an advantage that I can
>         walk to a local surplus store (and 10 minute drive to
>         another) that sells them at huge discounts, so I do
>         not pay the manufacturers retail prices.
>
>         Note that I do not know what availablity you have, but
>         the D-Link JTA0302B reportedly works (based on
>         reports of others).
>
>         As I recall, these are the same supplies as used for
>         BeagleBone Blacks, so you might be able to find a
>         match based on that.
>

>     Thanks Gary, and others, for descriptions of my power
>     alternatives. I'll take a look. Silicondust also wrote back this
>     morning saying a replacement would be $15 including shipping.
>     Obviously if I can easily grab a non-POS alternative I'll do that
>     instead.
>
>     Is this who you meant by Delta: http://www.deltaww.com
>
>     Thanks.
>

> Bowing down to those of you with more electrical knowledge, I see that
> the JTA0302B is a 2A power supply while Silicondust says it needs a
> 1A. But I do recall seeing people mention the JTA0302B in the 'dust
> forums.
>
> Going back to high school science I seem to remember amps are the
> "amount", while volts are the "presuure" of the power. So what exactly
> happens if I use 2A on something that calls for 1A?

The amps are like how much water flows through a pipe, volts is the
pressure in the pipe.
Using a 2 amp supply on a device that draws one amp won't be a problem.
That is the maximum amperage that can be drawn from the supply, not what
it'd try to force upon the device.
That said, if you put a 10 amp supply onto the same device, there might
be a problem, as the supply would not have sufficient loading. Years
ago, that was a significant issue. That isn't as true today.