[mythtv-users] Issues with my HDHomerun: Resource temporarily unavailable

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 13:57:30 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> The power LED is solid for hours at a time until a recording starts. So is
> it safe to assume that the increased load that occurs during a recording
> causes something in the wall-wart to, say, overheat and cause the HDHR's
> "reboot"?

The typical failure mode of these POS bricks is the cap
fails after a few years (heat related, usually), and you
get extremely high ripple voltages.  Random stuff then
happens (well, not random, predicable based on the
internal components and design)  Observed/Reported
symptoms include (random) resets, and signal lock/quality
issues.  If one opens the black POS adapter, you can
usually observe the bulging cap, and even replace it,
if one desires, but obtaining a high quality replacement
even for the cap can sometimes be hard.  Easier to
just replace the adapter.

Personally I automatically replace all my provided POS
supplies with high quality switching supplies from OEMs
such as Delta within days of purchase just because I
like reliable power, but I have an advantage that I can
walk to a local surplus store (and 10 minute drive to
another) that sells them at huge discounts, so I do
not pay the manufacturers retail prices.

Note that I do not know what availablity you have, but
the D-Link JTA0302B reportedly works (based on
reports of others).

As I recall, these are the same supplies as used for
BeagleBone Blacks, so you might be able to find a
match based on that.

Gary