[mythtv-users] Tuners, conflicts and padding

Paul Raison paul at raison.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 10:49:14 UTC 2015

> On 1 Jan 2015, at 21:47, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>

> Padding could cause conflicts. For that few minutes that there is
> overlapping, you're considered recording multiple channels (despite
> the fact that they could be the same channel). Lets take a slightly
> more simple scenario.
>
> Lets say you have 1 physical tuner with 1 virtual tuner (for a total
> of 1 tuner) and are going to record a show on channel 2 from 3:00 to
> 3:30 and a show on channel 2 from 3:30 to 4:00. Lets also say that you
> set each show to start recording 1 minute early, and end recording 1
> minute late. So the first show will want to start recording at 2:59
> and end recording at 3:31 while the second show will want to start
> recording at 3:29 and finish at 4:01. This creates a 2 minute overlap.
> Even though both are on the same channel, mythtv will record those on
> separate tuners. Since you only have a single tuner, this creates a
> conflict. You can verify this is how it works by scheduling something
> similar to this scenario and then reviewing which tuners it plans on
> using (MythTV won't schedule both shows on the same tuner)

This is not how my setup works, I wish it was. In fact, I've missed the endings of several recordings over the Christmas period on back to back programmes where Mythtv has used the same tuner and cutover exactly on the scheduled time and completely ignoring the usual padding settings (extra recording time). Is there a setting somewhere to make Mythtv honour the extra time on back to back recordings? I have both multiple tuners and MultiRec setup, so lack of tuners is not a problem.

Regards
Paul