[mythtv-users] asus memo pad 7

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 10 19:49:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 16:24 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> In my experience, there are few devices (manufacturers)
> that have chosen to license and enable hardware MPEG2
> decoding.

MX Player does it just fine, even if in software.

> While the latest and greatest devices might
> have the CPU power to (mostly) decode MPEG2 in software,

I've been decoding MPEG2 since before Daniel's first Android client.

> anything other than SD is usually unwatchable.

I'm only recording/watching SD here.

> As H.264
> decoding is universally enabled in hardware (although older
> devices may be limited to specific profiles), a stream in
> that format is the only one that is likely to be acceptable
> to most, regardless of the transport (HLS, or DASH, or
> something else).  If you have a device that has licensed
> and enable the MPEG2 decoder in hardware (or have
> the latest snapdragon 810 chip), count yourself among
> the very special few.

I'm not so sure it's a "few" as you think.  I'd hazard to guess all but
maybe the very oldest phones will decode SD MPEG2 just fine.  We don't
all need 1080p on our phones.

> It should be noted that while enabling it and using it
> is still just a thought, the last few gen Intel CPUs
> can do real-time transcoding of a stream in their VPU.
> nVidia (nvenc) and AMD (vec) have equivalents.  Yes,
> some may need to actually upgrade either their system
> to get reasonable results.

But the point is that it's entirely unneeded.  MPEG2 works just fine.

b.