[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Dec 8 16:10:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:17:13 +1100, you wrote:

>> The lircrc config file is /home/<frontenduser>/.lircrc.  It is not
>> /home/<frontenduser>/.mythtv/.lircrc.  In Mythbuntu, the .lircrc file
>> is normally a list of included files, which are normally located in
>> /home/<frontenduser>/.lirc/.  Each of those included files is normally
>> for one program that uses lirc, but that is just a convention and the
>> config from all included files gets read and executed by lirc, so if
>> any of the other included files contains config with "prog = mythtv"
>> lines, it might override what you are doing in your
>> /home/<mythfrontenduser>/.lirc/mythtv file.
>>

>This is what my /home/phill/.lircrc file looks like:
>include ~/.lirc/mythtv
>
>If there is more than one user that runs mythfrontend, it is not
>> unusual to have links from the other mythfrontend users back to one
>> location for the config files, usually the first frontend user that
>> was created, or possibly the mythtv user.  But that has to have been
>> done manually.  And you can not link the .lircrc file as it uses the ~
>> notation for its includes and would get the wrong file locations.  So
>> you need to link the secondary frontend users' .lirc/* files to the
>> primary frontend user's .lirc/* files.
>>
>> Make sure that setup is right.
>>

>I'm not really sure what you mean here by primary and secondary frontend
>users. I just jave one user that runs mythfrontend: "phill".

If you have only one frontend user, then you do not need to worry
about linking the config files.  Your current config should be fine.

>> OK, time to do a basic check.  First, what is the full output of
>> ir-keytable?
>>

>$ sudo ir-keytable
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event8) with:
>        Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
>        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
>        Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
>        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
>        bus: 3, vendor/product: 1934:5168, version: 0x0001
>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>

>> Then, with lirc running, try ir-keytable -t.  Do you see any IR keys?
>
>If you do, then lirc is not configured properly, as it should be
>> taking all the keystrokes.
>

>Yes, unfortunately I do see some IR keys. They're the ones defined
>in /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce. Is this the source of my problem, do you think?
>One thing I've noticed that's different in my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
>compared to your's is that mine has the
>line REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb" whereas your's
>says REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="devinput/lircd.conf.devinput". Do I need to set
>REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF to something different related to devinput, and if so
>what?

You do need the REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"
setting, and probably all the others I have set.  I would recommend
trying using a copy of my hardware.conf file, with the only change
being the setting for your device, which if I remember correctly
should be:

  REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"

Since you are not using an IR transmitter, I think you may need to
also comment out all the TRANSMITTER options.