[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 3 14:21:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 13:35 +0000, Duncan Brown wrote:

> It will eventually have more content, so if I'm going to buy a TV to
> last me the next 5-10 years it'd be silly to invest in old tech
> (standard HD)

That's a fair point.  The only counter-point I'd make is that right
now, at the bleeding (or leading at least) edge of the market for that
tech, the "first to have one" premium is still pretty high, from what I
can tell.

It might be that buying a standard HD TV today and waiting a year or
two for the 4K might actually end up cheaper in the long run once the
"first adopter" tax has been removed from the 4K displays and their
price has normalized.

> They're also not that expensive any more

Must be regional then.  Or they are dropping fast because last I
looked, they were still quite expensive.

In any case, do enjoy.  The still pictures I have seen on them are
quite stunning.

Cheers,
b.