[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Aug 31 15:59:35 UTC 2015

On 8/31/2015 8:32 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 31/08/15 17:10, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>

>> No /sys/class/rc directory. Do you have one in your systems? Is there
>> anyway to force it in Fedora?
>
> This nothing about Fedora, it's the kernel. The /sys/class/rc
> directory  is created when the kernel identifies a new device as an
> IR  (or RF) remote. The basic problem here is that this remote is
> identified as a keyboard, and thus is somewhere else in the sys/class
> tree (Where? Dunno).
>
> If you cannot configure the kernel to decode this remote, you need to
> let lirc do it. It's then no point using the devinput driver, since it
> relies on the broken kernel decoding. Instead you will need to use the
> 'default' driver on /dev/lirc0.  For this to work, you need to make
> the kernel accept your device as an IR remote and not a keyboard. I
> described some possible ways to do this in [1]; nothing I've done
> personally, though.

But to use lirc, you need to load a kernel driver. For all my other
receivers this means mceusb, normally autoloaded. But that's not
happening with this receiver. Manually modprobing the driver does nothing.

Hunting around, this was suggested in /etc/udev/rules.d:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0471", ATTRS{idProduct}=="20cc",
SYMLINK+="remote", ACTION=="add"

But still no love.