[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 01:16:10 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have sent Hauppauge several emails over the last several months asking
> for development information for the HD-PVR2.  I explain that I am a MythTV
> developer and would like to add support for it.  In each case their
> response has been just a terse "It is still in beta".  They don't seem to
> have any interest in a MythTV developer adding support for the device.
>
> Devin Heitmueller and I ended up talking about the HD-PVR2 recently, and
> he mentioned that Kernel Labs has had working Linux support for the HD-PVR2
> for a couple of years now.  Kernel Labs writes drivers and supports video
> capture devices for the Broadcast/Audio/Video industries:
>
> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=2
>
> They support all the different flavors of the HD-PVR2 (I was not
> previously aware that there was more than one), and their driver supports
> all of its various options and controls.  Devin says that their HD-PVR2
> driver is very robust, and it would have to be to keep their clients
> happy.  He says that the HD-PVR2 is a significant improvement over the
> HD-PVR including much better audio/video sync.
>
> Long story short, Kernel Labs is willing to consider making their HD-PVR2
> driver available for MythTV users.  It would not be free, but the price
> would be a fraction of what they normally charge.  Devin would even be
> willing to write the MythTV code to make it all work.
>
> As a bonus, Devin says that he would do a complete code-audit of MythTV's
> V4L2 'recorder', optimizing it and removing the cruft that has built up
> over the years.  This should result in improved support for everything from
> the old PVR-150 to the HVR-2250, as well as the HD-PVR.  It might even
> result in faster channel changing with the HD-PVR.
>
> For Devin to commit to this work, he would need to see enough interest to
> make it worth while.  How many of you would like to see robust support for
> the HD-PVR2 and improved support for other V4L2 devices?
>

> John

John, Devin,

You got my "yes" vote.

Thanks for even considering this - I know we've talked about it in depth
over the past few years.  I would definitely be willing to support a
driver, but I guess it always comes down to price.  It has to be "fair",
and I have no doubt you'd be reasonable - you definitely deserve
compensation for your efforts.  I currently have 4 HDPVR 1's, with 3 in
use.  I've had to replace all of the power supplies to fix stability
issues, but I still have failures at least every couple of weeks that
require a power cycle to resolve.   Before that, I even invested in one of
Beirdo's HD-PVR killers to try and manage the flakiness.

I'm not sure how quickly I'd start to phase them out for HDPVR 2's, but I'm
guessing within the next 1-3 years I'd start and would definitely want
support in place.  I know it's getting harder and harder to get equipment
with Component outputs anyway.  Also, I can see compression artifacts in my
current recordings that I'd hope the newer versions would be result in
better quality.

How does it support any copy protection?  Any restrictions on source
content that can then be displayed on MythTV?

Thanks!
Matt