[mythtv-users] Nielsen wants to know...

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Aug 24 13:43:27 UTC 2015

Nielsen's stock in trade has always been statistics, not data mining.
While I obviously can't predict that they won't start doing the latter,
I think it's unlikely, as content providers still rely heavily on the
same types of reports they have always produced.

I have participated in a Nielsen surveys in the past. The first was
about 15 years ago, and the second about a year ago. I have so far not
seen any tangible change in intrusiveness (telemarketing, junk mail,
online advertising) as a result of either. Here's a link to Nielsen's
privacy policy:

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/privacy-policy/privacy-policy-tv-all.html

which says that they only use data in aggregate to produce statistical
reports. About the only somewhat annoying thing is section " E. Do you
provide my personal identifying information to anyone?" which says that
they do give personally identifyable info to other companies, who are
contractually obligated not to use it for business purposes.

While it may seem that the reason they ask so much personal information
is so that they can market directly to you, I really don't believe that
is the case here. It's being done so that they can more accurately say
things like, "Males aged 35-40 with a median income of $40K in urban
regions like to watch Family Guy from 7:00-7:30 PM on Tuesdays". They're
not selling data about you, they're selling data about people like you.
Being part of their reports is a probably one of the more significant
ways to influence the behavior of content providers.