[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 17 15:21:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this a common problem?
>
> The anecdotal reports suggest that the HD-PVRs suffer from
> (a) crappy and/or short lived power supplies, (b) thermal
> issues (they overheat and "flake"), (c) USB weirdness
> (which can be various combinations of motherboard,
> OS, and HD-PVR), and (d) while I thought I remember it
> being addressed, I recall that those that tried to used the
> IR blaster could see some issues.

There have also been reports that the HDPVR can get confused by
certain patterns of signals sent by the STB (e.g., if attempting to
start recording before the STB has finished switching channels and
getting a resolution change coincident with a recording start), so not
only do various combinations of motherboard, OS, and HD-PVR affect the
results, but the model of STB and its behavior on your cable system
may also be a factor.

If anyone is experiencing problems and has not upgraded to the latest
firmware, that's something that should be done.  Some problems I was
having went away when I did that and it's been rock solid stable for
me for 2+ years.

Eric