[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 10 17:17:31 UTC 2015

> On Aug 9, 2015, at 10:11 PM, Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
>
> We take pride in our work, and our customers are generally very
> satisfied.  It's probably also worth noting that for the HDPVR2 this
> would be the same code we've been shipping in HDPVRCapture on OSX for
> several years now, which has a userbase that is probably several
> orders of magnitude larger than MythTV.  While we would obviously be
> adding code to Myth an extending its frameworks to best support the
> device, the driver code itself won't be a new undertaking, and would
> benefit from having been already deployed widely across a large number
> of environments.

Very interesting.  I know at least one user had a setup attempting to utilize HDPVRCapture to create recordings that he would play with MythTV:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVRCapture_on_Mac

Last I heard, he abandoned this scheme because it was unreliable.  Admittedly, he was using AppleScript to trigger HDPVRCapture to start/stop the recording as there was no command line interface offered.  Obviously, this would be the integration with Myth that you’re referring to.

BTW, I’d like to know a source for your comment that HDPVRCapture’s "userbase […] is probably several orders of magnitude larger than MythTV”.  I’ve been following Mac-based PVR/DVR systems for at least 10 years.  HDPVRCapture generated some interest on AVSForum maybe 5-7 years ago but there has been essentially no mention of it for the last 2-3 years (apart from the user noted above). IOW, I thought it never got far off the ground and was now effectively dead.

Note that I’m not trying to say that I know of any problems with HDPVRCapture.  I’ve never owned the hardware and never run the code.  Anybody thinking about a PVR on OS X looks at Elgato’s EyeTV—nowadays, HDPVRCapture is never mentioned as an option.  Let alone as superior.

Craig