[mythtv-users] nvidia color calibration

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Aug 9 19:53:18 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-08-09 at 02:21 -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:30:29AM +1200, HP-mini wrote:
>
> > Have you tried setting VDPAU playback to studio levels (reduced range
> > colourspace)?  This should be the colourspace the BD player (any
> > consumer video) is using.  Non-studio levels (full range) is for
> > driving computer monitors.  There is a OSD menu option for this in
> > mythtv & a setting in "nvidia-settings"
>
> I vaguely remember playing with that when I first set stuff up, I've
> got this commented out in my xorg config:
>
> #       Option      "ColorSpace"    "YCbCr444"
> #       Option      "ColorRange"    "Limited"
>
> I don't recall why I ended up not using them.
>
> Hmm, I never noticed the studio settings menu option. Enabling that
> allows me to use the same brightness/contrast settings on both the
> bluray and the mythbox and have optimal results on the calibration
> tests :). Five stinking years I've been manually tweaking the
> contrast/brightness every time I swapped between devices and all that
> time there was a fix right in front of me 8-/. Thanks! It didn't really
> do anything for the slightly off colors, I'll have to try
> playing with the colorspace setting again and see, I don't remember that
> making a difference way back when but maybe I missed that too.
>
> How is this related to https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7307? Does
> the OSD option deprecate the studio custom filter? How about the
> colorspace custom filter? I also occasionally use the mythbox for games
> or other things that are PC-like, it would be nice to have just mythtv
> do what's best for video and leave the X default for everything else.
>
> Thanks again for the pointers :).
> _______________________________________________\

Sorry, mixed up the (2) different things studio reduced range &
colorspace.
Never had problem with just using automatic colorspace selection.
Both of these were filters in VDPAU playback config. I've removed
"studio" from custom filter.
The VDPAU colorspace (auto) here with OTA broadcast SD/HD & DVD/BD looks
right.

I think if you use "studio levels" on (via OSD menu) you get what you
want & I don't notice any incorrect colorspace on SD upscaled to HD
(VDPAU).

I imagine most games are meant to look over saturated & high contrast.

"YCbCr444" is used to force full resolution chrome & luminance detail
over digital link in YCbCr vs RGB; video is normally 420 or422?